Where Battery Creek meets Beaufort River forming Port Royal Sound leading out to the Atlantic Ocean lies the sleepy little South Carolina coastal town of Port Royal. First explored by Frenchman Jean Ribaut in 1562, the town was named after the sound it overlooks and eventually avenues named after international cities of Paris, London, Madrid, Columbia, Richmond, and Edinburgh were laid north to south intersected by numbered streets running east to west.
Over the years, the southern tip of the Port Royal peninsula, the deepest natural port on the Atlantic coast, became an active shipping port connected to the mainland by a railroad along the western shore. Until recently this 50-acre tract with 2 miles of waterfront property has been fenced and controlled by the Ports Authority. In 2006, Governor Sanford closed the Port and ordered it sold and 10 years later Governor Hailey accomplished the sale, returning the property to the town.
As the fences come down and development progresses, the excitement of anticipated changes grows stronger. The vision of connecting the western shore back to the Old Village and keeping the waterfront open to the public is certain to make Port Royal compliment the natural beauty of abundant majestic centuries old Spanish Moss draped Live Oak trees throughout the Old Village. The community that exist today will be enhanced and grow stronger becoming even more one of the most desirable places to make home on the coast.